CURRICULUM VITAE JUAN F. ARENILLAS LARA
Current positions & Profile
- Chairman, Department of Neurology, Clinical University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain
- Director, Stroke Program, Clinical University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain
- Professor of Neurology. University of Valladolid, Spain
Profile: Stroke Neurology & Neurosonology. Clinical & translational research. Academic teaching. Health management. Team leadership. International collaboration. KOL for Stroke in Spain. Values: Teamwork. Integrity. Service. Driven by: Excellence, Quality (Improvement), Innovation
Continuously dedicated to patient care, research and teaching in the field of Stroke Neurology since 2002. Career developed in three tertiary referral University Hospitals belonging to the Spanish National Health System.
- Stroke neurologist. Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology. Vall d’Hebron University Hospital. Barcelona, Spain. (June 2002-April 2005). Mentor: Dr. C. Molina, Prof. Álvarez-Sabín. Very high volume stroke center. Clinical & Teamwork abilities.
- Stroke neurologist. Stroke Unit, Department of Neurosciences. Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital. Badalona, Barcelona, Spain. (April 2005-December 2007). Mentor: Prof. A. Dávalos. Quality-based patient care. Oriented towards excellence.
- Associate Professor of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Valladolid. (October 2008-July 2015).
- Director, Stroke Program. Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology. Clinical University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain. (January 2008-ongoing). Main achievements: Development of a Stroke Center with Telestroke Network covering a referral area of 700,000 inh (140 t-PA treated p./year). Stroke unit quality certification process (UNE-EN-ISO-9001). Multidisciplinary stroke team leadership. Clinical research program in stroke.
- Chairman, Department of Neurology. Clinical University Hospital, Valladolid, Spain. (May 2013-ongoing)
- Professor of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Valladolid. (July 2015-ongoing)
Education & Training
- Medical degree (MD). Faculty of Medicine. University of Valladolid, Spain (1991-1997). Extraordinary Award to the best University’s academic record (1998).
- Residence in Neurology. Department of Neurology. Vall d’Hebron University Hospital. Barcelona, Spain. (May 1998-May 2002)
- Gastartz (visiting doctor) at Department of Neurosciences, Kopfklinik, University of Heidelberg, Germany. Stroke unit & Neurocritical care unit. (Sept.-Dec. 2001)
- Fellowship in Stroke Neurology. Stroke Unit, Department of Neurology. Vall d’Hebron University Hospital. Barcelona, Spain. (May 2002-May 2003)
- Expert in Neurosonology. Spanish National Neurological Society, 2006.
- PhD in Medicine. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2000-2003. Progression and clinical recurrence of symptomatic intracranial stenosis.
- Training in Clinical Research (Río Hortega Program) founded by the National Health Institute “Carlos III”, Spanish Ministery of Health. Barcelona, Nov. 2003-Apr 2005.
- Master’s degree in Health Management. Distance University, Madrid (UDIMA). Madrid, Spain 2011-2013
- Professor of Neurology. University of Valladolid. From July 2015.
- Associate Professor of Neurology. University of Valladolid. 2008-2015.
- Training of Neurology residents in stroke Neurology & Neurosonology. 2002-ongoing.
- PhD direction: 5 Doctoral Thesis directed (2 in Autonomous University of Barcelona, 3 in University of Valladolid).
- Mentorship: Scientific Director of 4 “Río Hortega” programs in clinical research training for medical specialists founded by Spanish Ministry of Science (Institute Carlos III).
- Invited conferences & lectures: 130 (88 national, 42 international)
Clinical & Translational Research
- Publications: 137. (71 Q1) Complete list available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed, search terms: Arenillas J and Arenillas-Lara.
- H index: 34 (Web of Science)
- Research projects: Investigator in 15 projects with competitive funding, including one NIH-founded Project (BIOSIS, PI M. Frankel) and one H2020 project (RESSTORE, clinical trial with cell therapy). PI of four projects founded by the Spanish Ministry of Science (FIS projects PI040438, PI07/0393, PI13/02544, PI16/01396).
- Research networks:
- INVICTUS plus: Principal investigator. Spanish Network for research in Cerebrovascular Diseases. Funded by the Ministry of Economy and Science.
- NORDICTUS: Northern Spain Network for Research and Innovation in Stroke Science. Co-PI.
- GAINS: Global Alliance of Independent Networks focused on Stroke trials.
- Conference abstracts: 271: 131 international, 140 national.
- Clinical trials: Principal investigator of 20 international randomized clinical trials. National Coordinator of DIAS-3 trial in Spain (Desmoteplase). Member of DSMB in two RCT (REVASCAT, RACECAT). Member of event adjudicator’s committee in 2 international RCT (CRESCENDO, BEACON). Sub-investigator in 14 international RCT.
- Strategic research lines: (1) Acute ischemic stroke. Reperfusion therapies. Advanced Neuroimaging. Biomarkers. Collateral circulation. Neurosonology. (2) Intracranial atherosclerosis. Vascular cognitive impairment. (3) Brain Neurorepair after stroke. (4) Stroke prevention. Heart & Brain.
Other scientific merits
- Academic. Royal Academy of Medicine & Surgery, Valladolid, Spain (2012).
- Editorial Board: Cerebrovascular Diseases, 2014. Stroke, 2015.
- Social media editor for Stroke since July 2017
- Journal Reviewer: More than 20 international journals including: Lancet Neurol, Stroke, Circulation, Neurology, International Journal of Stroke, Annals of Neurology, Cerebrovasc Dis, ATVB, etc.
- Scientific evaluator: Spanish Ministry of Science-Institute Carlos III, ANEP (National Agency for Project Evaluation), British Heart Foundation, International Stroke Conference, Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Chairman, 5th International Conference on Intracranial Atherosclerosis (ICAS). Valladolid, October 2011
- Elected member. National Commission for Neurology. Spanish Ministry of Health. (2014-ongoing)
- Member of the Directive Committee, Spanish Society of Neurology, 2003-2005.
- Member of the Directive Committee, Spanish Cerebrovascular Dis.Study Group 2008-2012.
- Member of the European Stroke Organisation. Stroke Unit Certification Committee (2012-2016)
- Member of the American Heart Association since 2003. Spanish Society of Neurology, 1999
- Member of the Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology since November 2016.
Other personal information
Spain. Medical license: 47/8/33334
Languages: Spanish (native), English, German, Catalan